Thursday, February 24, 2011

03. mixed tape

at our wedding we had the unique privilege of having our first dance to an original wedding song.  we were blessed by two of ashley's college roommates who composed a beautiful song out of old letters and poems that we wrote for each other while we were dating. they played the piano and violin and sang the lyrics live. it was definitely a highlight of our special day. thanks chelsea davis and aubrey richmond.


music was always an important part of our relationship. on march 30, 2002 (our dating anniversary) we slow danced to right here waiting for you by richard marx. it was an unforgettable moment for us. that summer i ended up going to maui for over two months and that song took on an even deeper meaning.

we have plenty of songs that we consider "our songs". juliana theory's top of the world. i beleive in a thing called love by the darkness. adam sandler's timeless melody, i want to grow old with you. peter gabriel's classic in your eyes from say anything. the love medley in moulin rouge. a page is turned by bebo norman. eternity by how's kelly. i could keep going. each song is tied to a memory. it expresses the specific way we felt at that certain moment in time.

what's your song? most likely there's more than one that you share.

now i may be aging myself here, but do you remember mix tapes? yup, cassette tapes. i'm not ashamed to say it...i used to make tapes with cheesy love songs on them. that was a pain in the butt. after tapes, i burned compact discs. a little easier. nowadays, i guess the equivalent would be putting together an itunes playlist. that's a piece of cake to assemble.

your lady will dig the effort and time you put in. more importantly they'll love the thought you put behind it. i have a good friend who made a whole cd with nsync's would you be my girlfriend? on repeat. that started off their relationship. i was happy to be a part of their wedding last year and he shared that story as part of a video montage he put together for her. simple romance.

6 comments:

  1. You must be wearing off on the captain as he took the time to put favorites from the 70's, our dating time and early marriage, on my Nano for our Anniversary. Dancing to our favorite song will have to wait for another day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mixed tapes! Ya...those were fun to make :). I'm unfortunately behind now. iTunes playlists? What? Seriously, I've been stuck with the kids' music for the past 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this! You should read "Love is a Mixtape" by Rob Sheffield. Beautiful (true) love story based on this exact premise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mother - way to go, captain! i've always known he had a little romeo in him. i'm so proud.

    ate - you don't know what an itunes playlist is? you can't be serious.

    alyssa - i'll have to keep an eye out for it. sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!!! You're on the money here. Music is good for the soul. And the soul CRAVES love. I was at Marshley's wedding and I must say that when they exited the church as the newly minted Husband and Wife team "Mr. & Mrs. Mark Rickman" to "i beleive in a thing called love by the darkness" it was one of the most beautiful moments I'd ever witnessed. It stuck with me for a few reasons, but I remember being awestruck primarily because I felt like the song really did SPEAK volumes about their love & relationship. They were such a young married couple and I thought the upbeat, inspirational (and aspirational) tune about love & it's possibilities just captured the moment so incredibly well. Beautiful.

    As an aside, the male half of Marshley introduced me to MOULIN ROUGE! after I told him that Baz Luhrman (who directed the movie) was my favorite director. The love theme to that movie is like one of the soundtracks to my life. Find myself singing to my Pretty ad nauseam sometimes: "My gift is my song...I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind, that I put down in words...how WONDERFUL life is, now that you're in the world."

    But, I've said far too much. *embarrased* *signing, off*

    Peace and Love. "Love lifts us up where we belong. Love is a many splendid thing. All we need is love. TRUTH. BEAUTY. FREEDOM. (but, of course, above all things) LOVE." ;-)

    ReplyDelete